Please type your search term below

    Help managing your money

    Below are some tips and guidance on the best ways to manage your money.

    If you're struggling to pay your rent, please talk to us. There are lots of ways we can support you.

    For independent advice, you can contact Citizens Advice or a free debt advice charity. You never need to pay for debt advice.

    • Maximise your income

      Whether you are in or out or work, use our 'better off' calculator to find out if you are missing out on any entitlement such as income-related benefits, tax credits, contribution-based benefits, Council Tax Reduction, Carer’s Allowance, Universal Credit.

      You’ll need accurate information about your:

      • savings
      • income, including your partner’s (from payslips, for example)
      • existing benefits and pensions (including anyone living with you)
      • outgoings (such as rent, mortgage, childcare payments)
      • Council Tax bill

      'Better off' calculator


    • Help with energy costs

      With rising energy prices, you might be worried about how you’re going to stay warm and afford your household bills.

      Visit our 'help with energy costs' page for more information.

    • Help with Council Tax

      Council Tax Reduction

      You could be eligible for a Council Tax Reduction if you’re on a low income or claim benefits.

      The amount you can receive depends on your income and circumstances and is shown as a discount on your Council Tax rather than being paid as a benefit. Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%.

      What you get depends on:

      • where you live - each council runs its own scheme
      • your circumstances (eg income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
      • your household income - this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
      • if your children live with you
      • if other adults live with you

      Find out more

    • Help with household essentials

      Kent Support and Assistance Service (KSAS)

      The Kent Support and Assistance Service (KSAS) may be able to help if you are having serious difficulties managing your income due to a crisis or an emergency.

      Help is for a short time and only if you have no other means of support. Help can be offered three times over a rolling 12-month period but will not be provided for the same reason more than once. 

      For more information, call 0300 333 5700, Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm or visit the KSAS website.

      Household Support Fund

      Households in Kent and Medway can now access support to help them with essential household costs over the coming months as the country continues its recovery from coronavirus.

      Some small grants to meet daily needs such as food, clothing and utilities are available through councils in Kent. For further information, contact your local council:

    • Home contents insurance

      We look after the building structure, but have you thought about your possessions? We don't pay for damage to your own belongings or parts of the home that are your responsibility.

      Find out more about home contents insurance

    • Budgeting

      Knowing what you can spend after you have paid all your bills helps you plan for the future. By looking at your income and outgoings, you will see where you could make changes to your spending and even save money. You can use our budget planner to help give you a real grip on your finances.