Turn your boiler on now!
With the weather taking an autumnal turn, it’s important to start thinking ahead and to make sure your heating system is in good working order before winter hits. All West Kent residents are advised to switch on their heating now- a quick test and some routine maintenance can ensure you and your family stay warm during the winter months.
If you don’t turn your heating on until it gets much colder, and find you have a problem, you may face an uncomfortable wait while we arrange a repair. In busy winter months, it can take up to three days for an engineer to visit. But if you check your boiler now and let us know now if there is a problem, we can book a repair appointment that fits in with you, and the lack of heating during the wait won’t be so difficult.
Please follow these steps to check your boiler:
First, turn your heating on. If it doesn’t work as you expect it to, try these troubleshooting tips:
- Check the power supply for the boiler is turned on; it’s surprising how easily they get accidentally switched off.
- Check you have enough credit on your gas meter and that the meter is on. If there are any problems with it, you’ll need to call your supplier.
- Check the thermostat is set to a temperature higher than the temperature in the room.
- Check the programmer is demanding heating and hot water. This is usually shown by red lights beside pictures of a radiator or tap.
- Have the clocks changed? Your programmer time settings may need adjusting.
To help you with routine maintenance and troubleshooting, we have created several self-help videos that guide you through tasks such as bleeding radiators and resetting boilers.
If you have gone through all these steps and are still experiencing problems, just call our customer services team on 01732 749400. If you notice a leak in your heating system, its important you tell us straight away to prevent damage to your home.
Don’t forget that if you go away during the winter months, you’ll need to prevent pipes from freezing and bursting by leaving your heating on a low setting. If you are on a prepaid meter, make sure you have enough credit for the time you are away. Taking these steps will prevent any costly damage caused by burst pipes that West Kent is unable to reimburse you for. In the event a leak occurs, you'll need contents insurance to protect you against loss or damage to your belongings and furnishings.