What would you like to search for?

    When you move into a new-build property you usually benefit from a defects period, normally the first 12 months after completion of the building.

    During this period the contractor is responsible for rectifying urgent repairs such as:

    • heating or hot water breakdowns
    • electrical faults
    • easing / adjusting doors and windows
    • plumbing repairs.

    At the end of the year we will carry out an end of defects inspection with you and the contractor. Decorative items including shrinkage cracks will be reviewed at this time so there is no need to report these earlier.

    If you experience any problems with appliances that were in the property when you moved in, you should contact the manufacturer directly as these will be covered by a warranty. You'll find the details in your handover pack.

    To report defects please contact our customer services team. Please don't report defects directly to operatives on site as we need to know about any problems you're having.

    What about problems after the defects period?

    After the defects period you will be responsible for items within your home unless they are covered by a long term building warranty. You can find more information about responsibilities in the repair responsibilities tab.

    National House Building Council (NHBC) warranty

    Most of our new build properties benefit from a long term building warranty provided by the National House Building Council (NHBC) They provide a ten to twelve year policy and regulate the developer’s work.

    They inspect the quality of the building work free and if the build work is not to a good enough standard they will make sure it’s put right. If NHBC agree there's a problem that is the builder’s fault, they will help to arrange the repair.

    In buildings less than one to two years old, the investigation and repair is free of charge.

    In buildings over two years old the homeowner has to pay an excess. These vary in price (they’re linked to a Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors' index) and can be as much as £1000.

    Report a defect