What would you like to search for?

    We understand that sometimes you want to make some changes to your home.

    Maybe you want some extra kitchen cupboards, a new front door or a shed in the garden.

    We're happy to consider agreeing to these types of tenant improvements and we won’t refuse without good reason. We do need full details of what you're planning to do before you start any work. You should also check if local planning consent is needed for what you have in mind.

    Improvements we won't give permission for

    • SkyQ

      We will not allow SkyQ to be installed in any home where there is a shared aerial or dish - this includes, but is not exclusive to, flats and schemes. 

      This is due to the risk of:

      • Fires – the overheating of existing installations, or changes made to the existing electrical installation can lead to potential fires.
      • Damage – installation of the SkyQ requires turning off of the power which causes surge damage to existing installations. SkyQ can also cause overheating of existing installations.
      • Power supply issues – the installation may be illegally powered by West Kent's or another resident’s electrical supply.

      If we find any installation of SkyQ, we may remove it and charge for any damage caused. We will store the dish for two weeks before disposing of it. 

      Some great alternatives to SkyQ are:

      • Sky Stream
      • Sky Glass
      • Now TV.


    • Extensions and loft conversions

      We do not grant permission for extensions or loft conversions.

    • Wood burners and fireplaces

      We also do not grant permission for wood burners or fireplaces to be opened in line with the government's advice.

      We will ask residents to remove any solid fuel appliances at their expense if these are installed without permission.

    • Electric vehicle (EV) charging points

      We have strict requirements on EV charging points which must adhere to current guidelines. 

      Generally, the installation of an EV charging point is permitted as long as:

      • The resident's home is located on the ground floor, or is a house with access to the ground floor
      • The vehicle will be parked in an enclosed front garden
      • The vehicle will be parked away from public walkway access.

      For homes where an EV charging point can be installed, we require the following work completed (this will be at the resident's own cost): 

      • Installation of EV charging point by an NICEIC (National Inspection Council of Electrical Installation) qualified installer holding a C&G 2921-31 or similar
      • Any regular or ad hoc maintenance
      • A five-yearly electrical installation condition report (EICR)

      We will not allow EV charging points to be installed in any home where:

      • A shared or landlord's power supply is to be used
      • Electric cables will be left trailing across areas that are accessible to other residents or members of public
      • An allocated parking space is not located close to the EV charging point
      • Roadside or kerb charging is required
      • West Kent is required to upgrade electrical systems or wiring to the property in order to complete the installation.

      If we find an unauthorised EV charging point or trailing cables, we may remove them and charge for any damage caused.

    • Any improvement if there is a breach in tenancy

      Permission for home improvements will not be granted if there is a breach in your tenancy, this includes rent arrears and anti-social behaviour.

    • Shared owners and leaseholders

      If you're a shared owner or leaseholder, you can carry out minor changes like decorating, laying flooring and fitting wardrobes without our consent. You must get our formal consent before making any other improvement.

      For fairly minor changes we will not charge a fee. For more involved works our fee is £150 + VAT and we will issue a Licence for Alterations.

      We will not unreasonably withhold consent but some changes are prohibited under some leases. You can check your lease or talk to us.

      Home improvement enquiry | West Kent

    How to apply for permission

    Please complete the form below before starting any work on improvements or alterations to your home. If we can agree to what you want to do, we'll write and tell you. Please allow us 15 working days to process your request and get back to you.

    Home improvement enquiry

    Give as much detail as possible. If it's a fence we need to know which boundary, how high and what type of fence. For a shed we need size and location.
    Please supply any plans, sketches or photos to support your request.