Have you got spare bedrooms?
Many of our residents are living in homes that are now too big for them. Demand for family sized homes is rising and there is an increasing need for us to free up bigger family homes.
There is limited funding available on a first come, first served basis to help you to do this through the two schemes detailed here:
Small is beautiful
You may be eligible for the 'Small is Beautiful' scheme, which helps you downsize to a home more suited to your needs. It offers financial support to help you move. To qualify for our Small is Beautiful incentive scheme you must:
- be a West Kent tenant aged 50 or over (flexibility on age is at our discretion)
- have a fully assured tenancy and be living in a property with two bedrooms or more
- be willing to move to a smaller home (downsize) releasing at least one bedroom.
You can also qualify if you downsize to another social landlord through the Sevenoaks District Housing Register (SDHR.)
How much is the incentive?
The financial incentive depends on the size of home you're moving from, and how many bedrooms you’re releasing. We will pay £500 for each bedroom you release plus a further £1,000 one-off downsizing grant. (We reserve the right to deduct any recharges from the final incentive payment and we may agree to deduct any arrears to enable you to move).
If you are under-occupying one of our homes and wish to move somewhere smaller by doing a mutual exchange you may be eligible for a discretionary grant of £500 to help with moving expenses and/or to clear outstanding rent arrears so you can move.
This is a one-off payment to you, or if you are in arrears to your rent account. The fund is limited, and we cannot help every case. To qualify for this payment you must:
- be a tenant of West Kent.
- hold an Assured Tenancy (includes Affordable Rent Tenancies but excludes Assured Shorthold Tenancies, Starter Tenancies or tenancies that have been demoted).
- be moving by a mutual exchange (if moving with rent arrears you must be moving within West Kent stock), or through the local housing register.
- demonstrate that you are under-occupying i.e. your home is too large when measured against the Department of Work & Pensions Housing Benefit Bedroom Standard and the new home is the correct size.
For more information on downsizing, please complete the contact form below.