This privacy notice applies to all job applicants to West Kent, whether directly or indirectly through an agency. We collect and process personal information to manage the recruitment process.
What types of information do we collect about you?
Information we collect from you
- Contact details
- Information contained in application (including CV and personal statement)
- Interview notes
- Right to work documentation (including driving licence and passport)
- Qualification certificates
- Salary, benefits and pension entitlement
- Professional memberships
- Criminal convictions
- Health information (including disabilities)
- Protected characteristics (including gender, race, ethnicity, religion or philosophical belief, and sexual orientation)
We will ask for this information to process your application for recruitment, You are under no statutory or contractual obligation to provide this information during the recruitment process. If you fail to provide personal information when requested, we may not be able to enter into an employment contract with you, we may not be able to comply with legal obligations, and you may not be able to exercise your statutory rights.
Why do we process your personal information?
We use your personal information to:
- Manage an effective recruitment process - including assessing your suitability for employment.
- Comply with legal obligations - including checking your right to work in the UK, complying with our duty to make reasonable adjustments and monitoring and reporting on equal opportunities.
We will only process your personal information when the law allows us to. We believe you have a reasonable expectation, as a job applicant, that we will process your personal data.
The lawful bases that we rely on to process your personal information are:
- To determine whether to offer you a contract, or to enter into a contract with you
- To comply with our legal obligations
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests
- Where you have given consent for the processing.
Our legitimate interests are:
- Pursuing our business by hiring employees
- Performing effective internal administration
- Managing the recruitment process
- Conducting due diligence on prospective staff
- Establishing, exercising or defending legal claims.
Who do we share your personal data with?
Your personal data is only accessed internally by the individuals and teams that need it to carry out the purposes above. For example, members of the interview panel will receive copies of your personal data.
If your application is successful, we may share your personal information with:
- Organisations who carry out pre-employment reference and background checks
- The Disclosure and Barring Service, to obtain a criminal record check if necessary
- Former employers, to obtain references
- Professional advisers, such as solicitors
How long do we hold your information?
If your application is unsuccessful, most of your information will be retained for six months after the end of the recruitment process.
The exceptions to this are:
- Where the law requires us to keep information for longer
- Information which we deem to protect us against legal risk, which we will keep for six years.
If your application is successful, we will retain the information collected during the recruitment process for the duration of your employment, in line with the Employee Privacy Notice.
We do not envisage that any of your personal information will be transferred outside of the European Economic Area.
We do not envisage that any decisions about you will be made by automated decision making.