Please type your search term below

    Managing your money

    Below are some tips and guidance on the best ways to manage your money. You can always talk to us if you're having trouble and need some support.

    • Budgeting

      Knowing what you can spend after you have paid all your bills helps you plan for the future. By looking at your income and outgoings, you will see where you could make changes to your spending and even save money. You can use our budget planner to help give you a real grip on your finances.

    • Maximise your income

      Whether you are in or out or work, use our 'better off' calculator to find out if you are missing out on any entitlement.

      'Better off' calculator

    • Get a bank account

      If you are claiming universal credit you'll need a bank account. The Money Advice Service has some excellent information on both basic and current bank accounts, including comparisons of high street bank products and videos to help you decide which is best for you.

      Credit unions offer an ethical alternative to the mainstream banks on both borrowing and saving that might be available to people who can't normally access banking services. Shop around to find the best account for your circumstances.

    • Get the best deal for your gas and electricity

      It's now easier than ever to shop around and choose the best energy deal for your home. By switching to a lower tariff you could save a considerable sum each year, depending on the size of your home and your household.

      If you haven't switched your energy supplier or contacted them to make sure you’re on their best tariff in the past 12 months, you’re probably paying more than you need to for your gas and electricity. You can find out about potentially better energy deals by talking to your current supplier or visiting their website.

      You can also get advice on prepaid meters and switching energy supplier from independent advisory services such as

    • Home contents insurance

      We look after the building structure, but have you thought about your possessions? We don't pay for damage to your own belongings or parts of the home that are your responsibility.

      Sometimes, disasters happen. If you have a flood, fire, burglary or are the victim of vandalism, are your home contents covered? You can get affordable protection that will help replace lost or damaged goods - including broken glass, which is your responsibility. Being prepared can make all the difference. Home contents insurance is essential for all our residents and completely affordable.

      We urge you to arrange your own home contents insurance to cover damage to your possessions and decorations, in the event of the property being damaged by fire, flood, storm, or other accident that could have been prevented. Low cost insurance is available. There are many different providers of home contents insurance and you should shop around to find the best price.

    • Advice from the HERO

      HERO logo imageSevenoaks District Council’s Housing, Energy and Retraining Options (HERO) service offers free, confidential and independent advice and individual support. It offers a range of services to help you take back control of your life.  

      HERO offers complete and personalised advice, giving information and guidance on a range of issues. Find out more on the Sevenoaks District Council website.