Please type your search term below

    Gardening help 

    We offer a range of services for residents to help with gardening.

    These are paid for, but at a much lower rate than paying a private company. Residents meeting a set criteria can take advantage of some free services.

    For any of these services you will not be eligible if you are in arrears. For all payable services payment is required in full before works commence.

    We also have a gardening tips leaflet to help you maintain a healthy garden.

    • Garden assistance (free)

      The (free) garden assistance application process is currently at full capacity, due to a high volume of interest. The current wait to be placed on the active list stands at around six months.  

      We are currently reviewing the number of applicants allowed on the active list.

      Any questions relating to the above should be directed to customer services.

      We offer a free service for tenants who meet the set criteria. This service includes grass cutting to the front, rear and side gardens eight times a year. If there are hedges in the gardens, these will be cut twice a year. The scheme does not include flower beds.

      To be eligible for the garden assistance service, you must meet the following criteria:

      • No one living at your property is physically able to cut the grass or hedges
      • You do not have any friends or family who can help you to cut the grass or hedges
      • You are receiving care managed through Social Services or have physical/sensory disability
      • You receive at least one of the following:

        Employment support allowance/Job Seekers Allowance
        Unemployed Universal Credit
        Pension Credit
        Disability Living Allowance
        Personal Independence Payment
        Attendance Allowance   

       You will not be able to access the service if:

      • You owe West Kent money, unless you have a repayment agreement which you have kept for at least six months
      • You have savings or trust funds totalling £6,000 or more
      • You have breached your tenancy (including anti-social behaviour or refusing requests for access).

      Garden assistance application form

    • Help to garden (payable)

      A gardening service for grass and hedge cutting. It includes grass cutting to the front, side and rear gardens eight times a year and hedges twice a year. It does not include flower beds. We also offer garden clearance days.

      Tenants must clean up after their pets before the contractor attends, or else the works will not be carried out. A refund will not be given in these cases. If this occurs more than three times in a 12 month period they will be removed completely from the service and no refund will be available.

      This service is not available to tenants who are in arrears. 

      If you are interested in this service please complete the form below.

      Help to garden application form

    • Help with trees (payable)

      This service is available to tenants who wish to pay for trees to be maintained or removed. Please note removal is the only option for Conifer or Leylandii trees.

      Prices for this service are shown on the application form.

      This service is not available for tenants in arrears. 

      If you are interested in this service, please complete the form below.

      Help with trees application form


    • Fencing upgrades

      At the time when your fence requires replacement, you can choose to upgrade from the standard 4ft chain-link fence to 6ft wooden fencing.

      The replacement fence costs £25 per meter. You must have a clear rent account to be eligible.

      If you are interested in this service, please contact Customer Services to report your fencing repair. At the time of replacement, you will be offered the upgrade.

      This service is only available for the damaged sections of fencing. If you would like to replace your whole fence, you will need to request a home improvement.

    If you'd like to plant a tree or hedge in your garden, you must get our permission first. Please complete the application form below.