Please type your search term below

A mutual exchange is when two or more tenants exchange (swap) their homes.

Each tenant must move into their exchange partner’s property and take on the responsibilities of that tenancy.

If you are thinking of exchanging, you first need to find an exchange partner. Visit Exchange Locata to register your details on if you want to find an exchange. Another popular way to find exchanges is on Facebook.

Read our Mutual Exchange Policy for more information.

The following frequently asked questions will guide you through the application process. 

  • Do I need permission to exchange my property?

    Yes. When you've found an exchange partner and before applying to us you must be sure you can afford the costs of living in the other home, and be prepared to take it on in its current condition.

    You should print the Applicant’s Property Checklist and take it with you to inspect your exchange partner's home because we'll ask you to agree to taking over the home in whatever condition it is now in. Complete the checklist during your inspection.

    Download and complete the Affordability Checker online and save it to your computer. 

    Find or take a passport style photograph (digital or scanned) of each tenant.

    When you're satisfied about the condition of the property you will be taking over and sure you can afford the running costs please complete the online application form below. 

    You will have to upload the following documents with your form:

    Everyone involved in the exchange will have to complete this application process before we can consider your request. Failure to submit these forms will delay your application.

  • What happens after I've submitted my application?

    We’ll let you know the outcome within 42 days of receiving your application and you shouldn’t make any arrangements to move until all landlords involved have confirmed their approval.

    We’ll arrange to inspect your property as well as the property you want to exchange with (if it's within the area where we have housing). Everyone involved in the exchange is welcome to attend these inspections so we can answer any questions you may have.

    Before we agree to the exchange we’ll check that your rent account is clear, that you have no history of causing anti-social behaviour and that your current home is in good condition.

    If you are not a West Kent tenant we’ll ask your landlord for a reference.

  • Could my application be refused?

    Yes. For example, if the property you want to move to is too small or too large for you. Also if the property has adaptations you don’t need or if any legal action has been started against your current tenancy. For a full list of grounds for refusal please read our mutual exchange policy.

  • What happens when my application is accepted?

    After we've agreed a date for your move we'll arrange for you to come into the office to sign the paperwork. All applicants must pay the first week’s rent at this point, even if you will be receiving housing benefit.

    We’ll refund any credit on your existing account after that tenancy comes to an end and we’ll book appointments with our planning team to carry out gas and electrical safety checks. They will confirm the dates and times with you and you should arrange to have the meters read on the day you move.

  • Does West Kent help with the cost of moving?

    We can’t offer any financial support so you must make sure you consider these costs before you agree to exchange. You are also responsible for any decoration changes you want to make, so if you already know the property needs to be redecorated you must make sure you can afford to pay for it before you agree to exchange.

  • Can I take my pet with me?

    If you move to another West Kent home you can take your pets - as long as the property you are moving to meets our pets policy criteria. Check our pets policy to see if you can take your pets.

  • Will I keep my right to buy ?

    Not necessarily. Former Sevenoaks District Council tenants who have the right to buy should find out whether they will keep it after an exchange. This depends on the type of tenancy your exchange partner has.

    Your right to buy remains with your tenancy, so the tenant moving into your home will benefit from it. 

    You will only ever have the right to buy the property you are moving to if your exchange partner’s tenancy was formerly with Sevenoaks District Council (and was an assured or protected tenancy.)

  • Is there anything else I should know?

    Your new home may have extra costs your current home doesn't have. Consider these particular issues:

    • Communal areas – for safety reasons all communal areas have to be kept clear of obstruction. One doormat outside the front door is allowed. We have a zero tolerance approach to items being left in the hallway and will sticker and remove any we find as they are a fire hazard. So think about storage space if you are moving to a flat.
    • Trees in the garden - all tenants are responsible for the maintenance of their garden, including any trees so you must make sure you can afford the cost of maintaining them. You can pay to join our tree care maintenance scheme and then we will maintain the tree for you. This is a weekly payment by direct debit added to your weekly rent. 
    • Tenant alterations - you will become responsible for any alterations or improvements the current or previous tenants have made, inside or outside the property. For example, if a previous tenant has fitted a kitchen or driveway you'll be responsible for its future maintenance.

Mutual exchange application form

About you and your family

Please fill all the available fields. If, for some fields, you have multiple answers (such as "Tenant names") you can split up those names with a comma. For example, you can answer with two people like "John Smith, Bob Jackson".

Separate with a comma

Details of anyone wishing to move with you from the above address

About your current home

If your landlord is West Kent, please mark N/A

About your proposed exchange partner

Please make sure you complete and attach the affordability checker document at the end of this form to prove you can afford this swap


a) I authorise and consent to West Kent disclosing information from my tenancy records as requested by my prospective landlord (West Kent tenants). b) I give West Kent permission to seek information from my tenancy records (tenants of another landlord). c) I/We have inspected the property I/we wish to move to and completed the Applicant's Property Checklist. d) My landlord has not served me/us a Notice of Seeking Possession. e) I/we understand any false information provided by me/us may result in the application being refused or any tenancy granted, being terminated. f) We will not exchange until we have received written permission from all landlords and signed the Deed of Assignment.

Data protection

I understand you will hold the information I have given to process my application on a computer database. You may also share the information with housing associations and with other relevant organisations such as the police, social services, benefits departments and agencies employed to carry out research into housing need and improving services. I agree that the information I have given on this form may be used to: - process my application for housing; - prevent and detect fraud; and - carry out research into housing needs and improving services.