We run weekly clubs for children aged 8-12 in four areas across the district. The project is also funded by the Big Lottery Fund, Children in Need, local town and parish councils and Kent County Council.
The aims of the project are to:
- Provide low cost recreational and educational activities for children aged between 8 and 12 years in their own community.
- Promote acceptable behaviour and responsibility by encouraging children to devise and adhere to their own 'Charter of Rights'.
- Increase children’s self confidence, skills and interests by introducing them to a wide range of activities in a safe and caring environment.
The project provides regular, low cost, locally based activities in a safe environment with an emphasis on behaviour and positive communication and has been very successful in supporting the children who attend.
Children are asked to contribute £2 a week to the project, which is used to help fund activities. The project also organises special outings which reflect the interests of the children, for example rock climbing, visits to the theatre or museums and short residential stays. These incur an additional cost, but where possible, the project will subsidise those children whose families cannot afford to pay the full cost.
How are the clubs staffed?
The clubs are staffed by project workers directly employed by West Kent. We also encourage the involvement of volunteers. All staff and volunteers have an enhanced Disclosure and Barring check in place and references are taken prior to staff or volunteers working on the project. We work on a minimum adult to child ratio of 1:10. All activities are thoroughly risk assessed.
Who can join?
Children who may be experiencing a variety of difficulties at home or who may be in need of additional support outside of the school or home environment. Children are referred to the project by:
- Family support centres
- Social services
- Other professionals
You can refer yourself to us however we may need further information to accept you. Please contact us for more information.
Where and when are the sessions held?
- New Ash Green: North Square, Longfield, DA3 8JT. Thursday night 6pm to 8pm
- Sevenoaks: The Hope Church, Mill Lane, TN14 5AX. Tuesday night 5.30pm to 7.30pm
- Swanley: The Junction, St Marys Road, BR8 7BU. Friday night 4.30pm to 6.30pm and Tuesday Nurture Group 3.30pm to 5pm
- West Kingsdown: West Kingsdown Primary School, Fawkham Road, TN15 6JP. Wednesday night 5.30pm to 7.30pm
The project is also funded by the Big Lottery Fund, Children in Need, local town and parish councils and Kent County Council.